New Report On Innovation, Future of Work & People of Color
Innovation is changing America. How will these changes affect communities of color? How can leaders mitigate challenges and maximize new opportunities?
To start to answer these questions, today the Joint Center is releasing 5G, Smart Cities & Communities of Color.
- The fifth generation of wireless technology (5G) will be 10-100 times faster than current networks, potentially increasing access to high-speed broadband in Black and Latino communities.
- 5G and Smart City technologies could reduce or expand the digital divide, depending on choices by local leaders and wireless companies.
- 5G and Smart City technologies will drive local economic development and job growth. The automation facilitated by these technologies will also eliminate some jobs.
Elected Officials Should:
- Negotiate with wireless companies to ensure that contractors and workers of color help install and maintain 5G and Smart City technologies.
- Ensure that 5G and Smart City technologies are accessible and affordable to all residents.
- Empower residents to update their skills to match the needs of evolving industries.
The report was written by Yosef Getachew, Alejandra Montoya-Boyer, and Spencer Overton.
You may be interested
LOYALTY – Music Video Kendrick Lamar ft. RihannaCA - Aug 18, 2017
No Wahala (Official Video) Demarco ft. Akon, RuntownCA - Aug 18, 2017